Külföldi torrent oldalak Libble | LiB This Week's Musicologist Pick

A témát ebben részben 'Torrent oldalak hírei' Pegazus_SCD hozta létre. Ekkor: 2011. augusztus 09..

1. Pegazus_SCD / NoPainNoGain

Kapott lájkok:
    Beküldött adatlapok:
    Nem:
    Férfi
    Foglalkozás:
    Vezető pozició
    Lakhely :
    Miskolc
    Re: Libble.me

This week's musicologist pick - posted 15 hours and 37 mins ago

A new pick from Miepersen, this will be freeleech for a month:

Linda Perhacs - Parallelograms

[​IMG]
    We've got a fair bit of psych and folk over here, so I was a quite surprised to find out that this acid folk gem hadn't been uploaded yet. I first heard about Linda Perhacs through the excellent Andy Votel comp Folk Is Not A Four Letter Word. Apparently this is the only album she's ever done. The reviews below tell the intriguing story behind this album better than I ever could. A perfect fit for a lazy sunday afternoon, so get it today if you haven't already done so!

--

Recorded in 1970, mastered badly, almost entirely unpromoted and forgotten for decades, Parallelograms was, up till recently, one of the great lost albums of the early 1970s. Its author, a dental technician by profession, was completely untrained, yet had an unusually sophisticated ear for harmonies and counterpoints. Her voice was, and remains crystal-clear yet flexible, capable of the most otherworldly trills (“Parallelograms”) as well as earthy jazz slides (“Paper Mountain Man”). She sounds a good bit like Joni Mitchell, who was recording in the same Southern California scene at about the same time. Like Mitchell, she sings songs that flirt with folk, blues in jazz, yet unlike Mitchell she sounds fundamentally untethered to any of these conventions. Perhaps the most remarkable thing is this: Perhacs had no formal training, in writing, singing or arranging music. But there is nothing naďve about Parallelograms. It is intricate as well as hauntingly beautiful, carefully, complexly composed as well as utterly natural.[...]

[...]The album had been almost unobtainable for 26 years following its release, until, Michael Piper’s The Wild Places digitalized the original, clumsy mix in 1996. Seven years later, coincidentally, about the time that Devendra Banhart began talking Parallelograms up, Piper located Perhacs herself, who still possessed the original tape masters. (In the liner notes, she explains that she could only bear to listen to these originals. The album mix, compressed for AM radio, was so bad that she threw her copy away after one play.) That led to a remastered, reissue in 2003, which included five additional tracks.[...]