Külföldi torrent oldalak Libble | LiB This Week's Musicologist Pick

A témát ebben részben 'Torrent oldalak hírei' mephisto1 hozta létre. Ekkor: 2011. szeptember 19..

1. mephisto1 /

Kapott lájkok:
    Beküldött adatlapok:
    Re: Libble.me

This week's musicologist pick

A new pick from miepersen, this will be freeleech for a month:

Frank Minion - The Soft Land Of Make Believe
    [​IMG]

The Soft Land of Make Believe is the only album ever recorded by jazz vocalist Frank Minion. It consists of two parts: The first part is a five-part suite that that deals with social issues, drug abuse, difficult relationships and the trouble of being a jazzman. In many ways Minion comes across as an earlier version of Gil Scott-Heron, especially during the spoken word interludes. The second part is where this album gets it's oddball reputation from. On tracks 10-12 Minion is joined by Bill Evans, Paul Chambers and Jimmy Cobb, the legendary trio that, among other things, recorded 'Kind of Blue' with Miles Davis. Three tracks from that album get a vocal treatment which can either be thought of as blasphemy or a welcome refreshment.

I bought this record out of curiosity after hearing 'So What' on Gilles Peterson's radio show and I've played it a lot ever since. Despite it's lyrics being somewhat bleak, this music is light and playful. Highly recommended to anyone interested in vocal jazz