Külföldi torrent oldalak What.cd | WCD The What.cd Fifth Birthday Celebration: Day Five (happy Halloween!)

A témát ebben részben 'Archívum' Dark Angel hozta létre. Ekkor: 2012. november 01..

1. Dark Angel / Guest

The What.CD Fifth Birthday Celebration: Day Five (Happy Halloween!)

[​IMG]

What.CD has successfully made a five year journey down a long and unpredictable road. In celebration of this achievement, we're overjoyed to bring you our fifth day of birthday celebrations. Today we're offering the culmination of our Pick What.CD's Brain feature, another Developer update, the final blast of irredentia's Stats Overdrive project, winner announcements for our Summer of Style and Pumpkin Panic contests, two special gifts, a round of picks from those fabled Legends who once helped run the site and mysterious Halloween antics which should help you party throughout the night. Enjoy, and thanks for being members of What.CD.

[​IMG]

A little over four weeks ago we gave the What.CD community a chance to pick our brains. The premise was simple: you submit your questions, and we answer a number of them during the Fifth Birthday Extravaganza™. The celebrations have arrived and it's time we live up to our promise. Below you'll find a list of answer submissions, each of which can be discussed in the discussion thread for this event. We encourage everybody to check out our responses, discuss them, and even ask more questions!

Main Documents:

Individual Submissions:

[​IMG]

Our Developers and Build Team members have been steadily rolling out features, updates and fixes throughout the celebration period, and that doesn't stop today. First off we have a round of changes from Lead Developer porkpie which are sure to make you happy. First, the 'DO NOT group torrents by default' profile option is working. This feature will work on the torrent search page exclusively. Secondly, all of the sorting issues on torrents.php have been resolved, and all known bugs in the torrent search have been eliminated. Many thanks for porkpie for putting in this hard work.

Ajax has also introduced Identicons to the site. Identicons are an alternative to our default avatar. The "Avatars" setting when editing your profile controls the display of identicons. There are four options, and these are explained in the birthday features wiki. Please note that identicons are never displayed when viewing user profiles.

[​IMG]

Day five sees the conclusion of irredentia's stats overdrive project. irredentia and the entire staff team hope you've enjoyed the wealth of statistics and visualizations over the last few days.

First up is the What About What? User Statistics and Data, Fifth Anniversary Navel Gazing Edition! thread. This entry in the project takes a look a the site's wealth of user information, and represents a snapshot of data generated on October 2nd, 2012.

Secondly and finally, irredentia brings you the Top 114 Releases by Personal Collages. 2012 Preview: September 2012. This presents the top albums as ranked by their presence in personal collages (only for best albums of 2012 so far). irredentia plans on revisiting this list at the end of January 2013, so he encourages you to keep these charts up, and to revise them by that time.

[​IMG]

Earlier this year we launched The Summer of Style CSS Contest in the hope of generating a new stylesheet for official adoption. The results are in!

• 1st Place: htrd for DarkMono v2 [Alt.] - A merchandise gift pack from the store, custom title, neutral leech picks, and a special place for his work in our drop-down list of Stylesheets!

[​IMG]

Many thanks to htrd for his excellent work, and we encourage everyone to give his stylesheet a try! We'd also like to congratulate

We'd like to thank these users for their efforts.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Pumpkin Panic stage of our Tracker of Terror Halloween Contest has come to a close. Though our squash-carving users sliced some very impressive results, the top prize goes to

[​IMG]

We'd also like to congratulate

Thanks for your submissions, everyone! At this time we'll remind you all that there's one stage remaining in The Tracker of Terror Contest. Everyone has about one week left to submit your horrifying and creative Halloween costume photos! Be sure to read the rules before participating, and don't forget to snap a few photos once you're all dressed up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We're five days in, and now you've received five bundles of five Freeleech Tokens. Remember that these tokens allow you to select albums which you can download for free. Please see the Freeleech Tokens wiki for more information. Remember that the token total you see in the header is cached, and can take a few hours to update. If you're still having an issue with your token totals not updating after this time, please log out and log back in.

We've handed out these tokens in the hope that our users will take advantage. Remember that these coins only matter if you actually use them! Grab something you've been waiting for today, and don't miss out on the benefit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For our final day of birthday celebrations, we're giving one invite to everyone in the User and Member classes whose ratios are at least 0.7, provided they don't have any invites right now, and have invite privileges. For everyone else, we'll be running the invites script early. What.CD is nothing without its users, and we hope that you'll all use this gift to help grow our population. Remember that it's important to use your invites responsibly: do not invite users you know have had accounts on the site before, and invite trading or selling is expressly forbidden.

[​IMG]

What better way to conclude our celebratory spree of picks than with a look at what some of our now-famous Legends love? The following picks were selected by ex-What.CD Staff and are intended to honor the countless hours of hard, love-fueled labor poured into the site throughout the years. While many ex-staffers weren't able to submit a pick in time, please accept these selections on behalf of everyone who has been a part of the team. These picks are freeleech selections. We hope you enjoy the music, and welcome you to comment on these choices in our discussion thread.

jowa's Legend Pick

Jennifer Cardini - Lust

Genre: electronic, minimal

Torrents: torrents.php?id=177897

Review:
    At first listen, Jennifer Cardini's latest mix might come across as a bit dry, but beneath its cool exterior is a depth of hypnotic groovery that will bring you back again and again. Opening and closing with material from Claro Intelecto, the body of the mix is a calmly prowling electronic blend spanning from Disko B to Mood Music. The off-kilter vocals of Illektric's "Paranoia" and the Wighnomy Brothers' remix of Slam "This World" are tempered by the arid minimal enchantment of tracks by DJ Koze, Lopazz, and Berlin's faceless Sleep Archive series. Two hits of Lust and you're hooked.​

sickofjesus's Legend Pick

Sky Sailing - An Airplane Carried Me to Bed

Genre: Acoustic, Synthpop

Torrents: torrents.php?id=810024

Review:
    Adam Young’s boyish vocals make him sound like a baby Ben Gibbard, and if Owl City is his Postal Service, then Sky Sailing is his Death Cab for Cutie. Young wrote and recorded An Airplane Carried Me to Bed’s songs in 2006, while he was still spending his days as a metalworker and living with his parents, and about a year before he crafted the sound that eventually resulted in the hit single “Fireflies.” Instead of Owl City’s bright, bleepy synth-pop backed by faint acoustic strumming, this album puts the guitar front and center, with keyboards occasionally coming along for the ride. The sound is different enough from the Owl City songs to warrant the Sky Sailing name, but Young’s basic approach remains the same not just from project to project, but from song to song. His voice and melodies are sweeter than sweet, and his muse remains love, whether it’s new, lost, unrequited or far, far away. Owl City’s winsomeness twinkles in songs like “Brielle” and “Steady As She Goes,” although their acoustic backdrops might sound a touch simpler and more genuine than the electronics of Young’s main project. Most of An Airplane Carried Me to Bed drifts by in a blur of wispy guitars and yearning sighs, with mentions of Audrey Hepburn and “wintergreen daydreams” popping out now and then. There aren’t many peaks and valleys here, although “Tennis Elbow” shows hints of Owl City, “Take Me Somewhere Nice” blossoms from playful electric pianos to accordions on its choruses, and “A Little Opera Goes a Long Way” shows off Young’s guitar solo skills. Young has a distinct vision for his music no matter what name he releases it under, and Owl City fans will find a lot to like about Sky Sailing. --Heather Phares, Allmusic​

Dumont's Legend Pick

Abydos - The Little Boy's Heavy Mental Shadow Opera About The Inhabitants of His Diary

Genre: Progressive metal

Torrents: torrents.php?id=49673

babygoat's Legend Pick

Royal City - Alone at the Microphone

Genre: indie.rock, indie.folk, alternative.country

Torrents: torrents.php?id=157330

Review:
    The main focus of Royal City's singer/songwriter, Aaron Riches, was to write the songs on Alone at the Microphone quickly and with as much ease as possible. The end result is a lo-fi recording with fair-quality alternative/punk songs featuring a certain folk influence. Alone at the Microphone is sure to be a pleasurable listening experience, but only after accepting the shabby songwriting work, off-key vocal output, and folk-sounding guitar work. Still, with a few more spins on the turntable, the record is revealed to be chock-full of stunning lyrical expression, colorful and brightly textured percussive statements, and electrifying and somewhat breathtaking overall moodscapes. The production reveals with dexterity the honesty and sincerity in the band's intent, in a record filled with themes about death, vomit, corpses, dogs eating one's liver, etc. Perhaps it is most fitting to describe the lyrical content as possessing a dark mystifying surrealism. At times lush and pretty in their recording quality, the songs only become comfortable after repeated listens. Royal City's Alone at the Microphone is a powerful yet somehow charming statement of how a band can take the darkest of issues and bravely create music appealing enough to strike the listener -- although not immediately. ​

dblaze's Legend Pick

A Wilhelm Scream - Mute Print

Genre: Punk, Hardcore

Torrents: torrents.php?id=26493

Review:
    I listen to this when I feel awesome, and I want to hear something loud and awesome. Here is an actual review you can read.​

fragmer's Legend Pick

Ellen Allien & Apparat - Orchestra of Bubbles

Genre: electronic

Torrents: torrents.php?id=33789

Review:
    "Orchestra of Bubbles" is full of ace electro-house that beautifully pools the talents of Ellen Allien and Sascha Ring (Apparat). The rhythms toggle between techno's glide and electro-breaks' syncopated lurch; Allien's contrapuntal sensibilities shine through in dozens of interlocking pieces; and Apparat's downcast inclinations burst forth from every plaintive phrase. Apparat's production hallmarks, particularly his sense of space and his fondness for pulverizing grain delay, are all over the record, and they mesh wonderfully with Allien's enormous analog leads; the sheer sound of the thing is fuller than anything either artist has released.

Although a large part of the album is instrumental, the songwriting is masterful. It's also easy to miss, considering how captivating all the details are. It's not just the individual sounds that dazzle, but the seeming surface of it all, a fusion of digital, analog-electronic, and acoustic timbres so richly textured it feels almost tactile. This is one of the most exciting electronic releases that I've heard in some time.​

xorian's Legend Pick

Huey Lewis & The News - Greatest Hits

Genre: rock

Torrents: torrents.php?id=388871

Review:
    One of my favorite albums, including some classics like "Power of Love" and "Hip To Be Square".

Great album for a good 80s/90s feeling.​

hawkinbj's Legend Pick

Dangermuffin - Olly Oxen Free

Genre: rock, jam.band, folk, americana, rock

Torrents: torrents.php?id=72213705

Review:
    It's impossible to listen to this album - or this band - without simultaneously bobbing your head and smiling ear to ear. Dangermuffin is a lean, mean, guitar-driven groove machine. These guys don't employ heavy effects or fancy electronic trickery, opting to lean instead on top-notch musical chops and clean lines. There's a decided roots/americana vibe to the drumming style, perfect for impromptu - but purposeful - lead guitar riffs. Dangermuffin tackle a wide variety of musical genres, from rock to acoustic jazz to bluegrass. Sounds like every other jamband right? Wrong. These guys can actually sing. While Olly Oxen Free - their 4th album - is easily the best of their studio work, these guys are definitely a live band. Check 'em out, grab your friends, and go see a show - help keep live music alive.
    - hawkinbj​

SupDimForFer's Legend Pick

Various Artists - The Music of Cosmos: Selections from the Score of the Television Series "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan

Genre: Soundtrack

Torrents: torrents.php?id=829492

Review: Heather Phares wrote:
    The Music of Cosmos presents the soundtrack to Carl Sagan's groundbreaking PBS series, and features pieces by classical and contemporary composers such as Shostakovich, Vivaldi, and Vangelis. As with the series, the soundtrack is comprised of six parts. "Space/Time Continuum" describes the intricate relationship between space and time with pieces like Vangelis' "Heaven and Hell, Part 1" and "Alpha"; Pachelbel's "Canon a 3 on a Ground in D" and "Spring" from Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons" accompany Sagan's explanation of genetics, DNA, evolution, and consciousness in "Life." The precision of Bach's "Partita No. 3" mirrors the elegantly mathematical laws of physics and "The Harmony of Nature," while facts about space phenomena such as pulsars and black holes are scored by Hovanhess' "Symphony No. 19" and Toru Takemitsu's "Inside the Heart of the Universe." "Cataclysm," Sagan's depiction of cosmic disasters and evolutionary processes such as supernovas, features Vangelis' "Beauborg" and Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring." Finally, the triumphant conclusion of "Affirmation" includes Vangelis' "Ignacio" and the traditional composition "Bulgarian Shepherdess Song." Every bit as integral to Cosmos as Sagan's narration, this collection is a literate, intelligent soundtrack to science fact.​

spankstar's Legend Pick

Sage Francis - Still Sickly Business

Genre: hip.hop

Torrents: torrents.php?id=86739&torrentid=29218140

Review:
    Still Sickly Business is a "best of" compilation of tracks from two of Sage Francis' previous mixtapes, Still Sick... Urine Trouble and Sickly Business, and a few new tracks.​

Tolstoy's Legend Pick

Various Artists - Explorations in Space and Time

Genre: percussion

Torrents: torrents.php?id=71959915

Review:
    Tolstoy writes: This album is plain amazing. I first discovered it when I happened across this article about the process of recording the album in binaural (this is your required reading to go along with the album - and it has some cool studio photos too), and reading all the details of how it was recorded piqued my interest. When I found out it was "just" percussion, though, I was disappointed (never having delved into that genre) and I didn't even end up listening to it for a few days. Finally I got around to it, though, and to my surprise I instantly fell in love. The music is fantastic, better than I ever could have imagined percussion to be, and it is made a hundred times more lifelike by the binaural recording. So, pop this album into your favorite media player, put on your best pair of headphones, and close your eyes and allow yourself to be transported to David Chesky's studio.

NB: The tracks tagged [Binaural] are recorded binaurally, and those tagged [SoundField] were simultaneously recorded using "normal" procedures.

gamutsux's Legend Pick

Portishead - Third

Genre: gloom, doom

Torrents: torrents.php?id=127751

Review:
    This is a pretty popular album already, but since this is probably my last pick ever, I thought I'd go with one of my all-time favourites. It is not only, in my opinion, the best ten-year-comeback album ever pulled off, it just fucking rocks. Also, gamut doesn't like it and he sucks.​

(Discuss this post here)