Külföldi torrent oldalak What.cd | WCD Birthday? Stress Test Number Two.

A témát ebben részben 'Archívum' Vendég hozta létre. Ekkor: 2014. október 27..

1. Vendég /

Kapott lájkok:
    Beküldött adatlapok:
    Nem:
    Hangjelzés a Chaten:
    nem
    [​IMG]

DixieFlatline was right to call it “one weird year” in the site's life. We were hit with attacks of unprecedented force and duration, and much of the community was brought to a halt by downtime earlier this year. Unbroken, we came out of those attacks stronger than ever. Thanks to the tireless efforts of our staff and users during the site’s fundraiser, we were able to secure new hardware, providers, and backends to ensure the site would live to see another birthday.

So, this birthday, as we begin to resume plans and projects for year number eight, we’d like to look forward instead of back. We’re going to spend it highlighting and celebrating the community—users and staff, past and present—all individuals who help keep the site going in the face of every challenge. Without our incredible community, there wouldn’t have been a site to DDoS.

Let’s make What.CD’s eighth year its best yet.

[​IMG]

brancusi's Staff Pick

Steely Dan - Gaucho

Genre: jazz.rock, pop

Torrents:torrents.php?id=7718

Review: "Probably the most critically revered band of the 70s, Steely Dan's brand of slick pop with a dose of jazz/funk left a meagre but vital catalogue, Gaucho is their seventh studio album. At every stage of their career they were among the first to embrace the latest studio technology, and the musicianship and sonic quality of their albums has always been at the very limit of what is possible. Maybe about would-be hipsters who define themselves in terms of style rather than feelings or ideas, this album just sits in front of us, disturbingly perfect, emotionally radical and - in some restoration of irony - absolutely without peer."
    -Interwebs

"Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment." -Rumi

Entrapment's Staff Pick

alpha male tea party - Droids

Genre: math.rock, progressive.rock, experimental

Torrents:torrents.php?id=72735931

Review: You groove, you lose. Seriously good head-bobbing instrumental math rock.

Gautam's Staff Pick

Hank Mobley - Soul Station

Genre: jazz, bebop, swing

Torrents:torrents.php?id=9918

Review: Often overlooked, perhaps because he wasn't a great innovator in jazz but merely a stellar performer, tenor saxophonist Hank Mobley was at the peak of his powers on Soul Station. Recorded with a superstar quartet including Art Blakey on drums, Paul Chambers on bass, and Wynton Kelly on piano, it was the first album since Mobley's 1955 debut to feature him as a leader without any other accompanying horns. The clean, uncomplicated sound that resulted from that grouping helps make it the best among his albums and a peak moment during a particularly strong period in his career. Mobley has no problem running the show here, and he does it without being flashy or burying the strong work of his sidemen. The solidness of his technique means that he can handle material that is occasionally rhythmically intricate, while still maintaining the kind of easy roundness and warmth displayed by the best players of the swing era. Two carefully chosen standards, "Remember" and "If I Should Lose You," help to reinforce that impression by casting an eye back to the classic jazz era. They bookend four Mobley originals that, in contrast, reflect the best of small-group composition with their lightness and tight dynamics. Overall, this is a stellar set from one of the more underrated musicians of the bop era.

PepoteRouge's Staff Pick

Blind Willie Johnson - The Complete Blind Willie Johnson

Genre: Gospel, Delta Blues

Torrents:torrents.php?id=133825

Review: This is a collection of every known recording by Blind Willie Johnson. A man who could send Tom Waits running with his growl, and one of the very early slide guitar players with his own sound. The thing that gets me about this particular collection is that it is very energetic and easy to listen to. Almost every track is a solid three minute footstomper. A lot of these tracks have been played to death by every Blues and R&B artist, like 'It's Nobody's Fault But Mine', 'John The Revelator', 'Motherless Children' and 'Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed', but are appearing here in recorded form for the first or second time as the folk songs that they used to be. The delivery is passionate, with Johnson sounding as tortured and focused as any singer ever has. If this collection is too much for you, try 'Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground' (which we ended up sending to space on the Voyager) and 'Soul of a Man' for just a wonderful taste of haunting beauty.

SevenNationArmy's Staff Pick

Handsome Furs - Face Control

Genre: Indie, Pop

Torrents:torrents.php?id=384227

iTunes Review: Handsome Furs is Dan Boeckner (Wolf Parade) and his wife Alexei Perry, who color way outside the lines drawn by other current, Canadian indie bands, including Boeckner’s own. Boeckner is a hugely talented songwriter, and with the Furs he explores a wholly different range of outsider rock, brimming with conviction and confidence. His voice is full and expressive, a bucketful of gravitas deep in his chest. Shadows of rockabilly and American roots music color tracks like “Evangeline” and “All We Want, Baby, Is Everything,” although the buzz and hum of Perry’s synths streamline the tracks into icy cool numbers instead of rumbling rave-ups. “I’m Confused” and “Radio Kaliningrad” are fueled by unabated new-wave power-pop, but tracks like “Legal Tender” and “Thy Will Be Done” bring the Furs into the contemporary electro-pop realm. “I’m Confused” sounds like an ‘80s college radio hit run through a 21st-century filter with the “Minimalist Howl” button cranked up, while “Passport Kontrol” flirts with dub undertones. The Furs are not easy to categorize, certainly. And that’s only one of their many strengths.

vitiate's Staff Pick

Benge - Twenty Systems

Genre: synthesizer, experimental, electronic, ambient

Torrents:torrents.php?id=329009

Review: Twenty Systems is a piece of music that works on two levels. First, and most importantly, it's a satisfying minimalist electronic experience, and secondly, it's a wonderful showcase of historic analog synthesizer technology. Each piece is constructed in a way which you get to enjoy the different tones, abilities, characters and clear voices of each of the synths, whose name and year of manufacture comprise the titles of the songs themselves, without any other instrumentation or processing. With the exception of track two, the album features one synthesizer per track, one each from every year from 1968's Moog Modular to 1987's Kawai K5M. Fans of sythesizers will recognize many names, but hopefully not all of them.

This isn't to say the work is strictly academic; this is music to enjoy, not just study. Its spare composition and dark tones informed by the source are inviting and engaging; less conventional than much popular modern electronic music, it is also more accessible than a lot of idm, avant garde electronic minimalism, or even ambient music, evoking a period feel from time to time without sounding like a period homage.

Nein's Staff Pick

The Nein - The Nein EP

Genre: Pop, Indie

Torrents:torrents.php?id=543158

Review: "Sounds good" - Nein, 2014

Logos' Staff Pick

Cloudkicker - Fade

Genre: post.rock, post.metal, instrumental

Torrents:torrents.php?id=72264797

Review: When Ypicked Cloudkicker's The Discovery last year, he found a perfect quote, which is equally true for all of Ben Sharp's albums to date.
    This is music. This is music devoid of the trappings of record label expectations, devoid of the cynical nature of profit-seeking. This is the work of an artist who's making the music for himself, and we're privileged to be able to hear this work for ourselves. This sort of art for the sake of art, a foray into the mind of a man named B.M. Sharp in all its creative power, should be ultimately encouraged and supported for the altruistic and inspiring nature of the offering.

And it just happens to kick tons of ass.

-- Apoc @ Sputnikmusic

Sinetax's Staff Pick

Gregory Alan Isakov - That Sea, The Gambler

Genre: Folk, Acoustic, Indie

Torrents:torrents.php?id=464872

Review: A dear friend recommended this to me.

lenrek's Staff Pick

Demoscene Time Machine - Kernel Panic EP

Genre: chiptune, electronic, maintenance.window

Torrents:torrents.php?id=72533093

Review:
    /*
    * In case console is off,
    * panicstr contains argument to last
    * call to panic.
    */
    char *panicstr;

/*
    * Panic is called on unresolvable
    * fatal errors.
    * It syncs, prints "panic: mesg" and
    * then loops.
    */
    panic(s)
    char *s;
    {
    panicstr = s;
    update();
    printf("panic: %s\n", s);
    for(;:tef344:
    idle();
    }

WithTiredEyes' Staff Pick

The Stills - Logic Will Break Your Heart

Genre: Indie, Alternative, Lo-fi

Torrents:torrents.php?id=27369

Review: If you like Interpol, The Cure, The Walkmen, or anything else that doesn't suck, download this now. (yay canada)

draculesti's Staff Pick

Casual - Fear Itself

Genre: Hip Hop

Torrents:torrents.php?id=79240

Review:tef239:liver Wang wrote: Compared to the complex psyche of Del and the Souls of Mischief's interwoven rhyme schemes, Casual was the most conventional of the Bay Area's Hieroglyphics, yet few would to be foolish enough to dismiss him as any average MC. The very essence of a battle rapper, Casual was a braggadocio maestro who badgered the competition into submission with his freestyle-infused lyrics. Fear Itself perhaps represented the zenith of the Hiero's abilities. The most lyrically and musically consistent album the collective ever put out, Fear Itself had no end of impressive lyrics or tracks. On the latter end, producer Domino and fellow Hiero members put many of their obscure breakbeats to use, filling the album with thick, rolling bass lines ("Me-O-Mi-O") expressive jazz melodies ("Thoughts of the Thoughtful") and crashing drum marches ("Chained Minds"). Holding up his end of the bargain, Casual was relentless, straight-smacking MCs down on "That's How It Is," "You Flunked," and "Lose in the End," but still taking enough time to sleep with his best friends' girls ("I Didn't Mean To").

eXistenZ's Staff Pick

You Walk Through Walls - You Walk Through Walls

Genre: shoegaze, ethereal, post.punk

Torrents:torrents.php?id=72760521

Review: I don't believe in reviews. If the genre tags interest you, listen to it and decide for yourself.

Y's Staff Pick

Empty Yard Experiment - Kallisti

Genre: post.rock, progressive.rock, psychedelic.rock

Torrents:torrents.php?id=72752239

Review: This record is bitching. It’s pensive, cataclysmic and everything in between, and in all the right places, too. It’s brilliantly composed. Colossal in scope and ambition, any review I write won’t do it justice.

-- Jeremy Vane-Tempest, Mind Equals Blown

nando's Staff Pick

Lido - I Love You

Genre: Jersey Club, Trap

Torrents:torrents.php?id=72734478

Review: Oh, Lido... When I first heard "Money" in DJ Slow's compilation I was going WOW. This kid is TEH SHITTER.
    Really, those chords, that drive, this fresh kind of music is something magical. This dude is such a hard worker and creates such beautiful type of compositions that I, as an artist feel that "damn. finally someone who really deserves it in the electronic scene gets the attention." He had a very good live set called "Diplo & Friends on BBC in 12th Oct. with wonderful Demos that he's still working on. Now after hearing his works my standards for music have gone higher.
    Find his set on SC here: Lido's Diplo & Friends Mix by Lido<3 - Hear the world’s sounds Listen to Justin Timberlake's Cry me a River's Remix. It's insane!

brd's Staff Pick

Slowdive - Catch the Breeze

Genre: shoegaze, alternative

Torrents:torrents.php?id=118556

Review: For Alison.

coriander's Staff Pick

James Brown - In The Jungle Groove

Genre: Funk

Torrents:torrents.php?id=106973

Review: The album is not so much an album but a 1986 collection of James Brown singles and apocrypha from recordings of the period 1969-1971; it sounds as defining and current today as it did when it was first issued on LP.

Oblivion's Staff Pick

Mayhew The Traitor - Deathwish

Genre: Indie, Folk, Alternative, Rock, Alt-Country

Torrents:torrents.php?id=336636

Review: These guys deserve to be heard.

"Deathwish is the sad and painful story of a modest man seeking love and salvation only to be greeted with defeat. Addiction follows the drowning of sorrows and he surrenders. In 'Tolstoy’s Head,' Hobler sings, 'You probably haven’t heard from me lately. I’ve been sheltered inside. I’ve been strung out and silent, just to slow down on good pills. Oh, what a mess I have been.' However, throughout our hero’s story, he presents the listener with immense beauty. It would seem that his most desperate moments bring us closest to his heart." Similar artists: Neil Young, Radiohead, Damien Rice, Elliott Smith, My Morning Jacket

sprinkle's Staff Pick

Dorena - Nuet

Genre: post.rock

Torrents:torrents.php?id=72437936

Review: "Nuet is the Swedish word for 'the present', and as the name suggests, the album very much revolves around the concept of time. The songs are attempts to capture the little things, the short fragments. Be it a thought, memory, a touch or a scent, we try to describe these fragments, and encapsulate them in our music" says guitarist / vocalist Kim Ruiz. He continues, "A lot of things took place in our lives during the past two and a half years since our last release. And as we grow older, we notice that the years keep flying by faster and faster. These songs are ways for us to hold onto things that would otherwise be distorted by memory or fall into oblivion. The cover artwork by Paula Dudek is meant to represent the moment in time where the past and the future meet to form what is known as the present."

puddy's Staff Pick

Wes Montgomery and the Wynton Kelly Trio - Smokin' at the Half Note

Genre: Jazz

Torrents:torrents.php?id=309731

Review:John Swenson wrote: Wes Montgomery brought the art of the electric guitar to new heights in the 1950s and 1960s before his untimely death at 43. His vaulting style employed octaves much as his main influence, Charlie Christian, did in the Benny Goodman Sextet. Montgomery's crowd-pleasing facility with the fretboard was best employed in live performance when he could stretch out and really be heard. Smokin' is a thoroughly satisfying live album recorded in 1965 and 1966 at the New York nightclub, with co-leader Wynton Kelly and his trio--Kelly on piano, Paul Chambers on bass, and Jimmy Cobb on drums. Montgomery and Kelly are in perfect sync here, especially on "No Blues" and "If You Could See Me Now."

Hyperion's Staff Pick

Super Flu - Halle Saale

Genre: Electronic, Techno, Tech House

Torrents:torrents.php?id=72601337

Review:theunderground.eu wrote: An album full of intricate instrumentals characterised by snare drums, bells, synths and story telling vocals that take the listener on a journey. Known for their distinctive melodic style, this album keeps that 4/4 beat, but adds the elements, sounds and expressions of their city Halle, with the result a very uplifting and imaginative collection of tracks

LesAdieux's Staff Pick

Robert Schumann - Klavierkonzert • Waldszenen • Toccata • Introduction & Allegro Appassionato

Genre: Classical

Torrents:torrents.php?id=668886

Review: Schumann. Richter. Need I say more?

chai's Staff Pick

The Dukes of Stratosphear - Psonic Psunspot

Genre: Alternative, Pop, Psychedelic, Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Garage Rock

Torrents:torrents.php?id=226344

Review: Psonic Psunspot, like earlier psychedelia, reflects that peculiarly British flair for the whimsical and absurd. “Collideascope” (“Careful, don't look down the wrong end”) features a Lennonesque word collage about sleeping and dreaming, with the sound of sawing (get it?) in the background. “Have You Seen Jackie?” is a topsy-turvy sexual romp in the grand tradition of the Who's “I'm a Boy” and the Kinks' “Lola.” A little English girl recites Alice in Wonderland-type nonsense between the songs.

Putt_Putt's Staff Pick

Greg Haines - Digressions

Genre: Ambient, Modern Classical

Torrents:torrents.php?id=72151771

Review: Since his first album was published on Miasmah six years ago, Greg Haines has become one of the most consistent modern classical composers and musicians, yet he has released relatively little music compared to the likes of Peter Broderick, Nils Frahm or Ólafur Arnalds for instance. Indeed, Digressions is only his third solo album, yet, he has also released material recorded with Danny Saul, Peter and Heather Broderick, Machinefabriek or Xela to name but a few.

Following his debut, Slumber Tides (Miasmah) and sophomore effort, Until The Point Of Hushed Support (Sonic Pieces), Haines has joined the ranks of Australian imprint Preservation with his latest offering, and if previous efforts often denoted a taste for sombre moods, Digressions appears more open and accessible. It is also Haines’s most ambitious work yet. Conceived from recordings Haines made during a series of workshops with the Theale Green Community School Chamber Orchestra whilst he was composer in residence at the Theale School of Performing Arts in Reading, Digressions also features regular Berlin-based friends Peter Broderick and Dustin O’Halloran.

Ajax's Staff Pick

Brown Bird - Salt for Salt

Genre: Indie, Folk

Torrents:torrents.php?id=72067977

Review: Much like the artist themselves this album is a hidden gem.

Zettel's Staff Pick

Butch Morris - Dust to Dust

Genre: Jazz, avant-garde

Torrents:torrents.php?id=201518

Review: For my loved and lost

Narcolepsy's Staff Pick

Adam Mansbach read by Samuel L. Jackson - Go the Fuck to Sleep

Genre: audiobook

Torrents:torrents.php?id=72818776

Review: Just listen. It isn't that long.

alderaan's Staff Pick

Mono Holy Ground: NYC Live with the Wordless Music Orchestra

Genre: post.rock, instrumental, orchestral

Torrents:torrents.php?id=741794

Review:Leonard Pierce, Pitchfork wrote: While Mono avoid the pomposity that often goes along with orchestral collaborations, Holy Ground is most effective when the arrangements are written to take full advantage of both the depth of the orchestra and the power of the rock band they surround. The first two tracks illustrate how good the pairing can be, as does the electrifying treatment of "Halcyon (Beautiful Days)"; all three maximize the potential of the concept by bringing Goto and Yoda's guitars and especially Yasunori Takada's increasingly underutilized drums to the fore and letting the orchestra support them. On other tracks, though, the cart is put so fully before the horse that it's difficult to distinguish what's happening from a manipulative film score. Mono have always been susceptible to overwrought emotion, but by bringing in so many instruments that are inextricably linked in our cultural receptors to specific feelings and moods, they risk becoming an unusually refined melancholy-moods outfit.

Irimias's Staff Pick

The Smiths - Complete

Genre: Pop, 80s

Torrents:torrents.php?id=72056818

ooioo's Staff Pick

Fatima Al Qadiri - Asiatisch

Genre: Bass, electronic, experimental, sinogrime

Torrents:torrents.php?id=72687363

Review: ... a cover of Sinéad O'Connor's 'Nothing Compares 2 U' sung in Mandarin, only with nonsense lyrics - a joke at our expense.​

Discuss this post here